I’ve written a good deal about avoiding risky manual “maintenance” procedures on open, live electrical equipment in the data center. Now we have another good reason to avoid it in the current story of a Peer 1 tech being injured during UPS maintenance. Injury to the person working inside the equipment from a short is a pretty clear indicator of not using adequate arc flash protection. Arc flash from a short (usually the result of a tool where it shouldn’t be) can burn flesh, burn clothes, blind eyes, or eject metal shrapnel. So now you have the perfect storm, service outage, damaged equipment, injured employee, and your fav government labor safety organisation (OSHA here in the US) all up in your grill and ready to kick butt, all for a risky maintenance procedure done on energized equipment.
Unless you enjoy the pain of this kind of fall out, stop messing around inside energized power equipment in the data center!
Vern, SwiftWater Telecom